Friday, October 3, 2014

The Pros and Cons of Being Short - Mallory Thompson


The Pros and Cons of being Short
By Mallory Thompson
 
Being short is a blessing and a curse. There are lots of reasons why I would rather be short than tall. But, of course, there are also reasons why being short is really a pain.
 
Pros
-I could be Tinkerbell!
If my career as an accountant doesn’t work out, I have a job to fall back on…Tinkerbell at Disneyland/world! To be Tinkerbell you have to be in between 5ft and 5ft 4in. You also have to weigh between 100 lbs and 125 lbs. I don’t plan on growing much in the future so I think I’m set.
 
-I can fit in small places.
          I will always play hide and seek. When you’re short, you can fit into small places that no one will even think about looking. You can easily just curl up in a little space. It is also fun to hide somewhere and jump out and scare people.
 
-I will always be shorter than my date (probably).
          I don’t have to worry about wearing heels or not wearing heels. I could probably wear 4 inch heels and still be shorter than my date.
 
-Clothes.
          I can fit into kids’ and juniors’ sizes, so I have more choices. The kids’ clothes are normally cheaper so that is really helpful.
 
-Cheaper passes/tickets.
          Since I am so small, workers just assume I am about 12, but sometimes that is ok. I can get the kids’ movie passes or any kids’ pass. Shortness saves me money. And kids’ meals? I will never stop ordering them.
 
-Leg room and low ceilings.
          I don’t worry about being cramped on a bus or airplane, my legs hardly take up space. Then, I can fit more stuff by my feet because I have more space. Also, I never have to duck under low bars or ceilings. I can just walk right under.
 
-People give me piggy-back rides.
          Do you ever get tired of walking? Yeah, me too. The nice thing about being short is I can just ask for a piggy-back ride and easily hop right on. People are willing to carry me because I’m so small.
 
 
 
 
 
Cons
-I’m a human armrest.
          For some reason people like to use my head as an armrest. I don’t know how that's comfortable for them, but apparently it is.
 
-I get picked up a lot.
          This is another one I don’t understand. I guess people think to themselves, “Wow, she is really small; I think I’ll pick her up!” I frequently just get scooped up.
 
-I look younger than I really am.
          I look about five years younger that my actual age. Because of this, no one takes me seriously until I’m good and mad. And then I’m just “cute”.
 
-Some clothes I can’t wear.
          I can hardly fit into maxi dresses or skirts. No one makes them for short people. My only choice is to buy it anyway, then take the time to hem it, or don’t buy it at all. And don’t even get me started on jeans. I am convinced that jeans will never fit me. If there is even a chance they might fit me, they have to be 0 Short. Stores do not usually have 0 Short in stock or even carry that size. Socks never fit right either, so I don’t even try.
 
-I had to learn to walk fast.
          My tall friends don’t think about how hard it is to keep up with them. Sometimes, I even jog to stay up with them. Good thing I’m in Cross Country.
 
-Cars were not made for me.
          I will forever sit on a pillow to drive just so I can see over the steering wheel.
 
-Crowds.
           I can’t see at concerts, football games, or anywhere I’m in a crowd. I view heads, heads, and more heads. (This is a good time to ask for a piggy back ride.)
 
-One more.
          I can only touch bottom in the baby pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment