Monday, November 10, 2014

The Pros and Cons of Begin a Pastor's Kid - By Allison Redmond




    The Pros and Cons of Being a Pastor’s Kid

by Allison Redmond



Being a Pastor’s Kid DEFINITELY has its ups and downs. Even during the lowest of lows, I love my life, but that doesn’t mean that I am always happy. Here are some of the best and worst parts of being a Pastor’s Kid.


PRO: LOTS of potlucks.
  • -Lets be honest, church potlucks are THE BEST. With basically any choice of food you could ever want, you literally cannot go wrong. Plus, you can eat as much as you want without too many people judging you. Being a Pastor’s Kid, I get invited to a church potluck at least once a month, and it is amazing.

CON: Everyone thinks my life is perfect.
  • I cannot stand when I hear, “You wouldn’t understand. You have a perfect home life.” Yes, my parents are amazing, and we all love each other. Yes, we try our best to get along, but that in no way means that we are perfect. We argue and we hurt each other, but the difference between us and some other families is that we forgive each other and don’t let someone’s mistake put a strain on our relationships.

PRO: I always have a quiet place to work.
  • Like any normal household with children (especially boys), my house can get pretty loud. Being a Pastor’s Kid is awesome because I can go to the church whenever I need a quiet place to do homework or practice piano. Also, I even get to bring my dogs if I want to. Better yet, I get to hang out with God.

CON: The “sheltered” stereotype.
  • This one REALLY gets me. Just because I do not laugh at your inappropriate joke, does not mean that I don’t understand it or am too sheltered to get it. What it actually means is that I think it’s disgusting and immature. I understand it. I just don’t think you’re funny.

PRO: There are always people there for me.
  • I cannot describe how awesome it is to have a group of godly people who are always there for me in a time of need. My church family is the most supportive, loving group of people I could ask for.

CON:I am constantly held to a higher standard than other kids my age.
  • I don’t care how many people tell me this one is not true, it ABSOLUTELY is. Now, I will admit that not everyone holds me to a different standard, but it does happen all the time. Not only that, but EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE I make is magnified 10,000,000% and everyone and their dog knows about it. It is absolutely unfair, but I guess that life isn’t fair.


    In all honesty, I love being a Pastor’s Kid. I have experienced many amazing events and people who have changed my life. It really scares me to think of what my life would be like if I wasn’t a Pastor’s Kid. I don’t even know if I would be a Christian. Yes, it makes my life extremely difficult, but I love my life and I wouldn’t change it for the world.





1 comment: