Tuesday, September 1, 2015

All About that Accordion - Allison Redmond

Image result for accordion
All About that Accordion
By: Allison Redmond

Recently, I found out that I will be inheriting an accordion from my grandfather. Words cannot describe how EXTREMELY EXCITED I am to receive it. I have never before played the accordion, but I am going to do my best to learn. Everyone is probably aware that accordions are used to play polka music (S/O TO TEAM POLKA BUENO), but other than that, I doubt you know much more about the instrument. Therefore, I decided to collect a list of five accordion facts you most likely did not know.

1. The accordion was once believed to be invented in Berlin in 1822, but  earlier prototypes have been found.

2. An accordion was used by the heavy-metal band Korpiklaani. This was really unusual because, like I said earlier, accordions are usually used for polka, folk, or classical music.

3. The accordion has many nicknames, including, the “squeeze box” and “one-man band”.

4. The accordion was originally only used in German polka music, but is now used all over the world.

5. Here is a list of famous people you probably did not know play(ed) the accordion:
-John Lennon
-Billy Joel
-Pete Townshend
-Sheryl Crow
-Steve Urkel
-Weird Al
-Mrs. Applebee
-(And Mr. Morris has always dreamed of playing the accordion.)

SO, if you see me over the next few months, make sure to keep me accountable and ask me if I have been practicing my accordion. Hopefully, I will catch on quickly, and be able to accompany the Chamber Choir by next semester.

*I got all of my accordion facts from http://www.ehow.com/facts_4895988_accordion-facts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment