Friday, October 2, 2015

What You Don't Know About Librarians - Mallory Thompson


What You Don’t Know About Librarians
By Mallory Thompson


In my advisory class I work in the library. I also was a library tech last year. During this time there are many things I have noticed about being a librarian.
We eavesdrop on your conversations. Listening to everyone's conversations is how I catch up on what is going on around the school, especially when it is just a few people and me. It is kind of hard not to listen to you talking when it’s the only noise in the library. However, sometimes I don’t want to listen to your conversation. When I was a library tech, it was a good time to get homework done when I wasn’t helping anyone, but when you are being obnoxious and loud it is pretty tough.
When the library gets crazy busy, please tell us what you want. I can not read your mind when you come up to the circulation desk and just stand there. Ask me to recheck your book or tell me you need a Chromebook. When I ask for your name, I have to type it in, so please speak up so I don’t have to ask you, “What?” five times before I can understand you.
Newsflash. We do not memorize every single book in the library. Surprising right? If you want a certain type of book, there are computers for you to look it up. That’s why they are there. When I am busy working the desk I don’t have time to look up a book for you when you are too lazy to do it yourself.
I have also become a pro at unjamming the printer. Everyone seems to think the librarians can fix the printer just because it is in the library. Sometimes it gets hard.
When you ask for book suggestions, please tell me what type of books you like. I will probably have a completely different taste in books than you do, so it’s helpful if you give me an idea of what you like.
Although there are many things to be annoyed about, I love being a librarian and the craziness of it all.  




No comments:

Post a Comment