Tuesday, November 11, 2014

What I Hate About Talking and English - Connor Reynolds


I really hate certain things about the English language and how people use it. Here are my five biggest English grammar pet peeves.


#1. I Seen That


I put this as my number one because it’s said wrong so often and it’s so simple to say it right that it’s just annoying. All you have to say is, “I’ve seen” or “I have seen”. You’ll sound smarter, and it is the correct way to talk.


#2 Articulation


Articulation is my number two because it’s a personal problem for me.  I usually forget to articulate, and it causes me to mumble.


#3 Taking Fast


This one goes with articulation because when I talk I tend to say what I want too fast, so I don't articulate, and this contributes to my mumbling.


#4 The Word “tour”
The word “tour” has always been a problem for me because I want to pronounce the word like “tore” instead of “to͝or” so this word is at the top of all the words I hate. If I were in charge of the world,  I would change the pronunciation to “tore”.


#5 Using “well” instead of “good”


I have a problem with this because when most people are asked, “How are you doing?” they respond, “I’m good.” This is fine if they just ask, “How are you?” but if they put “doing” in the question you should answer, “I’m doing well.” This one bothers me because my friend tends to ask me this question then make fun of me when I say it wrong.



#6 “Joe and I” instead of “Me and Joe”


One common English error is saying, “Me and Joe went to town with Dale,” when it should be said, “Joe and I went to town with Dale.”  I understand why a lot of us say it this way because when telling a story the storyteller is the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE INTRODUCED OR TALKED ABOUT FIRST. That is why we say this and wrong. I also hate it when Mrs. Watson corrects me on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment