Friday, February 15, 2013

Reasons Why I Hate Valentine's Day

 By Fernanda Santos


To start with, in Brazil Valentine’s day is celebrated June 12th and is nowhere as big holiday as it is here. Call me cold-hearted. As a matter of fact I probably am. I just hate the fact that since we were little girls, people have been asking: “So who is your boyfriend?” or “Who are you crushing on?” Looking back,I can’t stop thinking how ridiculous this is. I just grew up thinking that I was supposed to always have a guy by my side and that is not healthy for a 10 year old girl (or any age to be honest!).
I hate Valentine’s Day because it always turns into a race or competition. Everyone is freaking out and worrying not to becomethe person that doesn’t have a valentine. It has become something completely commercial and no, I’m not one of those critics that use this excuse because I am single or whatever. I love Christmas, Easter, and birthdays, I don’t have anything against buying something special for someone you love. I’m the kind that does even more than I should to put a smile on the faces of people that I care about. Another thing that makes me really mad about Valentine’s day is that they even move some sections in Wal-Mart and other stores to put in all the stuffed animals, chocolate and red and pink “be my valentine” cards. Are you they kidding me? I am here to buy my food, I don’t need to be attacked by fluffy panda bears and heart-shape balloons.
The truth is I will never like Valentine’s Day just because I never had someone that was worthy to be call mine (valentine or not). If we don’t have a big holiday for “friends day’’ or “cute puppy day” don’t expect me to spend a whole day from my precious 365 showing off for having a boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment