Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Life as a Working Girl

By Amanda Lawrence


 
     Starting last year my mom began bugging me to get a job. I knew I needed one for many reasons. One, I really needed the money. I was going to begin my senior year so earning money for college seemed like something I really needed to do. Two, I spend most of my summers sitting at home doing nothing (I know, I know, I’m so interesting).  And three, it would get my mom to stop pestering me ;).

     So I set out to find a job. I had no idea where I wanted to work so I began asking around. Many of my friends worked at Sonic and said they liked it. However, I wanted to keep my options open. I applied at a few different places and waited a few days. Then, my impatience got the better of me. I went to Sonic and asked for an application. They were out of applications and the manager wasn’t there so they wrote down my name and number. Later that night, the manager called and told me that I had the job and could start the next day. I then hung up and began dancing around the room chanting “I got a job, I got a job.” (Ok, seriously younger me, who does that?)

     So in July of 2012, I made the transition from jobless to working girl and I am very glad I did. I love my job at Sonic and it has taught me many things such as responsibility, people skills and problem solving.  My life is very different in other ways too. I am home much less than I was before but I love being at work. It is also nice to not have to ask my parents for money.

     While the transition may have been a little challenging, I am very glad that I have my current job.

No comments:

Post a Comment