Wednesday, April 10, 2013

South America to North America

By Fernanda Santos


 
When you start thinking about being an exchange student, everyone tells you how hard it is going to be to go to a new country that has a different language, to stay away from your parents for such long time, and to deal with the cultural difference and all of these. Thanks guys, that helps a bunch!

 

       Despite what everyone thinks, I can honestly say I have only had five days of serious homesickness in the ten months I have spent here. It’s hard to think about home when there is so much going with new sports, new school, and new friends. You will only sit there miserable missing your old life if you don’t engage in creating a new one. I never even thought that coming here would be hard. It was my dream and I decided to make it the best year of my life. I’m proud to say I have succeeded, at least I have so far.

 

      The hard part it will be going back home. I do miss my family and my friends, but when I got on that plane eight months ago I knew I was headed back June 1st no matter what. When will I be back? When will I ever see these people again? If everything goes as I plan, I should be back in one in a half year, but deep inside I know that I’ll never see some of these people again. All the faces that are now known and dear to me in the hallways will be gone in less than two months and I’m afraid that in the transition I’ll lose myself too.

 

     It will be the worst flight of my life and considering how I lost my passport on my way here and I’ve been in a plane which the breaks stopped working minutes before landing, that’s pretty intense. I’m not looking forward to it but it’s just another transition that I can’t run away from.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment