Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Contact Cross Country - Isaac Sprague


The CHS Cross Country Team is made up of high society individuals, the upper class. My seventh grade year, for instance, included charismatic individuals such as Casey Carlgren. When I think of Casey I think of short shorts, a care free attitude, and the “Hop on the Truck until Coach Notices” method. Casey was also inspiring because he could accomplish making Coach so mad at him for messing around that he would run two miles on the track before we even started our practice run. Once Casey left, the team had to grow new leaders such as Creighton Leif with his road side massacre and Nathan Koeber with the jokes of a lifetime.

Cross country has been considered to be a dangerous sport to participate in because cross country members are often hurt. For instance, Daniel Longfellow, a cross country veteran, had his pinky finger cut off during cross country. This loss of appendage may have also resulted in a loss of cross country morale, causing the guys team to once again lose its spot at state. Another story of dangerous proportions is when Olivia Leif, a senior this year, was frightened by what we believe to be a vicious squirrel, causing her to topple over and sprain her ankle.
My teammates aren’t the only ones who have been affected by the perils of cross country. I, too, have experienced the danger. If it is ninety degrees or above during practice, the cross country team goes to the park. When we run in the park there are many Parkour opportunities that the guys on the team cannot resist. So I, being a hardcore Parkour enthusiast, tried a trick that required me to run over a pole in hope of missing the pole. But the heat had really affected me that day and I was not at my usual hardcore Parkour level. I ended up hitting the pole and cutting my leg, leaving me disabled and unable to run. So there’s one thing all of us on the cross country team have learned: don’t do cross country.
In loving memory of Bailey, Daniel, Garret, Micah, and Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment