Friday, September 5, 2014

The Perks of Being a Drum Major - Janae Champlin

The Perks of Being a Drum Major
By: Janae Champlin
  1. YOU GET TO WEAR A CAPE!
  2. You don’t have to play an instrument.
    • It’s so great to walk into the band room and watch everyone assemble their instruments while I just watch them and drink my warm lemon water.
  3. You hardly do any marching.
    • I’m not a fan of marching more than a straight line so only doing it for a couple parades and around the track before games is absolutely amazing.
  4. You get ripped arm muscles
    • You wouldn’t think that waving your arms would be that strenuous, but let me tell you, it is. After vigorously conducting for almost eight minutes you’re sweating up a storm, but the fact your arms look super toned makes up for it!
       
  5. You get to use the Acme Thunderer Whistle.
    • I have used lifeguard whistles for years, but this whistle trumps them all.
  6. There is lots of yelling involved.
    • Whether it’s saying a command or just getting the drum line to shut up for five minutes I use my voice loud and proud!
  7. Did I mention that you get to wear a cape?
  8. During the games you get to sit by the Color Guard.
    • They come with blankets, hot chocolate, and glitter. You can’t get any better than that!
  9. You get to do a salute.
    • Out of the whole show the drum major’s salute is one of things you don’t want to miss. I spend more time searching salute videos on YouTube than I do on my homework.
  10. You get to direct the band.
    • You literally have the power in your two hands! On the third song of this year’s show, the band has to hold a note as long as I want them to. I just stand there with my arms out and a smile on my face thinking to myself, “Yeah that’s right; you hold that note till I say stop.”
  11. And the most important one of all
    • It comes with a cape!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment