Tuesday, September 2, 2014

10 Things to Do Before Your Senior Year - Zoe Walsh




10 Things to Do Before Your Senior Year

By Zoe Walsh

With three years of high school under my belt, I wouldn’t say I’m an expert high school student. However, I have had some experience. With that being said, here is my list of 10 things to do before your senior year.

  1. GET INVOLVED!
    I heard this from my dad plenty of times. Did I take the advice? Not until my junior year. Yes, I was on the dance team, but that was about it. Once I became more involved in different clubs and organizations, I realized how much of an impact I can make around our school and community. Plus, I got the chance to meet people I normally wouldn’t talk to!
  2. Believe people when they say high school goes by fast.
    As a freshman, I wasn’t too worried about my senior year. I thought my senior year was a looooong ways away. I still had three years to go. Boy! I was wrong. It goes fast.
  3. Be prepared.
    This goes hand-in-hand with #4. Senior year will be here faster than you know it. Always be thinking a step ahead of the game. Take the ACT early! Start thinking of what you want to do in life. I know, I know, I sound like a guidance counselor when they give their beginning of the year pep-talks, but trust me. When senior year comes and everyone is freaking out because they have yet to take the ACT, you can take a deep breath. Get a good handle on your future!
  4. Always remember the “cool” kids in high school won’t necessary be the “cool” kids in the real world.
    When you walk down the hallway and you see a “cool” kid laughing at another kid’s expense, DON’T join in. The wrong thing to do is follow the crowd just to fit in with the “cool” kids. Whether you decide to look straight ahead and continue walking, or decide to stand up for the victim is up to you. It takes guts to stand up to a bully because you might become the next victim, but always remember…you can’t put “I was a cool kid in high school” on a resume.
  5. Support Our Sports!
    Even if you know nothing about football, basketball, baseball, etc., go stand in the student section! The student section is one of the best memories I have in my three years of high school.
  6. Don’t get involved in the unnecessary high school drama.
    If it doesn’t involve you, don’t do it. If it does involve you, don’t do it. Bottom line, don’t do it.
  7. Surround yourself with the right people.
    Surround yourself with positive influences. Find a small group of friends that help you better yourself and your future and stick with them.
  8. Have fun.
    Just do it.
  9. Appreciate the teachers who have influenced your life, then tell them.
    With my busy schedule, I see some of my teachers more than I see my mom. I appreciate the teachers who have taught me more than the mandatory curriculum. I appreciate the teachers who have taught me life skills. To the teachers who have taught me life lessons, been there to wipe my tears, pushed me, and always believed in me, thank you.
  10.  Don't be afraid to take chances.
    If you don't think you can do it, you won't do it. TRY! I have missed great opportunities throughout high school because I didn't try. JUST DO IT! What do you have to lose?!?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment