Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas Programs - Janae Champlin


Christmas Programs

By Janae Champlin

       Just like every other church in America, my church holds a yearly Christmas program, and every year my mom forced me to partake in this festivity, even though I absolutely hated it. The moms in charge started announcing the practice schedule at the end of October. Yeah, you heard me, OCTOBER. The other church kids and I all got assigned parts in the play and I was always Sheep #7, Angel #3 or a chorus part. I was so frustrated because I wanted to be the star of the show, and by star I mean Mary. But no, they gave that role to some other girl while I had to sit by the kids who picked their noses and sang off tune. It was awful. Each week we stared at the cue cards and sang “Emmanuel”, “Angels We Have Heard on High”, and other traditional Christmas hymns.

     Don’t get me wrong; I love Jesus and our church and the songs we sing (especially Christmas songs). But when December hit and we had to have practices over Christmas break and on Saturdays... then the line had been crossed. I wanted to watch movies, go sledding, and bake stuff. NOT SIT IN A SUNDAY SCHOOL ROOM AND REHEARSE FOR A CHRISTMAS PROGRAM (next to a nose picker).

     However, after the years of being Sheep #7 and Angel #3 I finally got the role of Mary! It was the first time that I was excited to be in the program. (I also had a big crush on the guy who played Joseph.)  When we started rehearsals I looked through the script, I realized Mary had no solos and barely any lines.

My thoughts:

What is this?!

          I’m supposed to be the star!

          I HATE CHRISTMAS PROGRAMS.

This was my last Christmas program I was ever going to do and I get no lines? Talk about a disappointment. The Sunday we finished our performance I was the happiest girl alive. I no longer had to endure the many practices, and I could sit and watch the show instead of be in it.

     As Advent seasons came and went, I got asked to help out with the next year’s recital. At first I was hesitant, but then I realized that I could be the boss and make the show amazing. So I accepted the offer. My job was to hold the cue cards and make sure the little kids didn’t go anywhere. It seemed like an easy task and I really liked it. A couple of my friends were helpers too so we also got to spend time with each other.

     Then, the unthinkable happened. We were all asked to be in the program once again to sing a trio! I was so mad.

Another thought:      

I just got out of this joint, and now you want me back in?!

      After that winter I vowed to never involve myself in any form of Christmas programs, recitals, or concerts.  I’M DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment