Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cutting Weight - Isaac Sprague


Cutting Weight

By Isaac Sprague

 
     For most people Thanksgiving is a time of family, friends and food. Americans create a large array of foods such as stuffing, turkey, mash potatoes, and my favorite…rolls. Now usually I participate with everyone else in my family on this delicious holiday. However, this year I decided to cut weight for wrestling. At first I was able to deal with cutting a few pounds off, but when I practice with vigor for two hours straight I gain a savage’s appetite.

      The thing about appetites in most sports is they are good, in fact healthy. For instance, in cross country I do eat a lot more food because I am burning around 1,000 calories each practice. However, in wrestling I cannot eat a large amount of food after practice like in cross country, even if I am only cutting five pounds. In wrestling I have to stop eating enough to lose at least half a pound a day. This may not seem significant, but when the body starts to fight the mind and say, “You need more food to survive,” it becomes increasingly hard to stay disciplined.

      Now I am not against losing weight; it is the wrestler’s decision, but now I have more respect for the kids who cut fifteen to twenty pounds. In my opinion, they are nuts and for me no sport is worth not having peace of mind. So, when people think wrestlers are crazy for cutting weight…they are, but at least treat them with respect and don't try to shove food in their faces just to get the pleasure of seeing them salivate.

No comments:

Post a Comment