Friday, December 5, 2014

Holiday Narcissism - Allison Redmond


Holiday Narcissism

By: Allison Redmond

Christmas is the season of giving, right? Wrong. It definitely should be, but often it is not. People become so consumed with gifts, decorations, and parties that they miss what Christmas is all about. I have seen this holiday bring out the absolute worst in people. It is so irritating to see how selfish people become during the holiday season. It amazes me that of all holidays on which to be selfish, people pick the one that was created to celebrate God sending his only son as a sacrifice. Isn’t that pretty much the most selfless thing someone could do?

I am not excluding myself in this. In fact, when my sister suggested a few weeks ago that my family not give gifts this year, but instead use that money to support a child in need, I found myself thinking, “When she was my age she still received gifts. Now that she is almost to the point of outgrowing Christmas presents, she just wants to get rid of them altogether. How selfish.” It did not take me long to realize how self-centered that sounded. Who am I to complain about not getting all the gifts I want, when I have everything I need? There are plenty of people all over the world that would love to have my life. I have food, water, clothing, a house over my head, and parents who love and provide for me. That is all I could ever ask for.

I am not saying that this Christmas everyone needs to stop exchanging gifts. That is a completely impractical request. All I am asking is that we all take a moment this holiday season to be thankful for what we have, and maybe even give to someone in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment