Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Olivia Leif's February Blog

A Not so Perfect First Kiss
Since I was old enough to understand what having a “boyfriend” meant, my mom and dad told me that I was not allowed to date or to have a boyfriend until I was sixteen. When I was very little this rule didn’t mean much to me, but the summer before my freshman year my thoughts about “no dating” changed immensely.
            I had just begun high school; therefore high school boys became an important part of my life almost overnight. There was this one boy who really caught my eye. He was older than I was and let me tell you, he was a cute one. He and I were in band and choir together, and were also in the musical that was being put on by the drama department. Our relationship began one morning on the bus on our way to marching band rehearsal at the practice field. My best friend Michaela and I always sat next to each other on the bus, but this particular morning Michaela didn’t get on the bus with me for reasons I don’t remember now. Apparently this boy, “Mike”, saw this as an opportunity to put his moves on an innocent and completely clueless freshman girl. I was planning on riding by myself, when all of a sudden Mike plopped down not in the open seat next to me, but on my lap. I really don’t know why, but this didn’t bother me because I thought he was cute and was excited to have the attention. I eventually shoved Mike off my lap and went through the rehearsal flirting and batting my eyes at him. After that day, Mike and I sat together every morning on the way to rehearsal, and we also started “talking”. I quickly had feelings for this boy and wished that I was sixteen so I could officially date him. Because I wasn’t old enough, my parents really didn’t know that anything was going on between Mike and me. My older brother Creighton saw us being a little more than friendly, and being the protective brother that he is, told me numerous times to stay away from Mike, and I of course being the know it all younger sister, ignored everything he said. Mike and I continued to be chummy during marching band, football games, and play practice, but he never showed any interest in being anything other than friends that are really flirty with each other. I came to except this, but still hoped I was wrong.
            Marching band goes to Fort Hays every October for contest, and Mike asked me if I wanted to go with him in the van so we could sit together. (Boys and girls are not allowed to ride together on the bus if the trip is more than just across town.) I was super nervous, but said yes after talking Michaela and her boyfriend to come with us. He and I were sitting in the very back seat of the van when he all of a sudden casually slipped my hand into his. I was totally okay with this, and just went on with whatever I was talking about. He then got out his iPod, scooted closer to me and started playing an intense game of Connect Four with me. I was talking about something when Mike out of nowhere leaned over and planted a big fat kiss on me. I was so flabbergasted I didn’t know what to do or say. I only remember him looking at me, smiling, then doing it again. The fact that he kissed me wasn’t what made me nervous; it was the fact that it was for one, my first kiss; two, it was on our way to Marching Contest; and three, there were a van full of people sitting right there in front of us…definitely not my idea of a “romantic Hollywood Style foot popping first kiss!”
            Mike and I stopped talking that same fall about a month after that memorable day on the way to Hays. Michaela and many of the other band members still give us both a hard time about it, but I guess we kind of asked for it and can’t complain. Though he and I are nothing more than friends now, Mike and I still laugh at and can’t believe how my first kiss went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment