Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween Movies - Leyli Biems

When I think of Halloween, images come to mind of jack-o-lanterns grinning ghoulishly, bags stuffed with colorful candy, crimson and gold leaves gently raining down on a dark, cozy street, and excited children running around in a wide variety of costumes. As you can probably tell, Halloween is my favorite night of the year. I spend the entire month of October getting into the Halloween spirit by going to haunted houses and corn mazes, watching old Goosebumps episodes, and making my favorite festive fall foods. However, the best method for getting into the Halloween spirit is watching scary movies. I have compiled a list of my favorites:
  1. Dracula (yes, the black and white one)
Rating: Not Rated
Why It’s Great: In a culture where vampires have become more sparkly than scary, it’s hard to find a good vampire movie. That’s why it’s best to go back to the basics. Although it can get pretty cheesy, this 1931 classic delivers all the creepy vampire lore a person could hope for.
  1. Hocus Pocus
Rating: PG
Why It’s Great: Anybody born in the 90’s has been raised on this movie. I’ve seen Hocus Pocus a million times, and it will never get old. There’s nothing like watching a group of kids foil the evil plot of a trio of mean, grotesque witches to get you in the Halloween mood.
  1. Young Frankenstein (sorry, more black and white)
Rating: PG
Why It’s Great: I love funny movies, and this film is one of the best comedies ever made. Lucky for us it’s also one of the best Halloween movies ever made! Young Frankenstein simultaneously provides laugh after laugh and a creepy atmosphere that’s perfect for Halloween. Besides, you can never go wrong with Mel Brooks.
  1. Poltergeist
Rating: PG
Why It’s Great: Poltergeist is by far the scariest movie on this list. What I love about this movie is that it’s undeniably creepy, but unlike movies like Halloween, it has nothing to do with a psycho killer going around violently murdering half-naked teenagers. This movie is terrifying in more of an eerie, supernatural way. It’s perfect for anybody looking for a great scary movie without the gore.
  1. The Wolf Man (I know, I know, I’m killing you with the black and white)
Rating: Not Rated
Why It’s Great: Just like Dracula is the perfect vampire movie, The Wolf Man is the perfect werewolf movie. The special effects aren’t exactly high-tech and it can definitely get a little hokey, but that’s why I love it. Besides, there will never be a better werewolf than Lon Chaney.
  1. Halloweentown
Rating: Not Rated
Why It’s Great: Another of my childhood favorites, this movie is perfect for getting into the spirit of Halloween. Halloweentown is such an important part of this holiday for me that it doesn’t even feel like Halloween until I watch it. If you’re looking for a family-friendly movie full of fun and fear, definitely watch Halloweentown.
  1. House on Haunted Hill (last black and white one, I swear!)
Rating: PG
Why It’s Great: Made in 1959, this movie is loaded with overly dramatic acting and the cheesiest effects known to man, but that’s why I love it. Everything in House on Haunted Hill is intended to give you the creeps, and, although it’s in the hokiest way possible, that’s just what it does. If you’re looking for a fun scary movie, this is the one for you.
  1. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (I lied, this one’s black and white too)
Rating: PG
Why It’s Great: Another hilarious Halloween movie made by comedy legends, I watch this movie every year. It has all of the elements a good Halloween movie should have: lots of classic scary monsters, tons of creepy moments, and loads of laughs. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is a must-see at Halloween!
Obviously, I had to leave out some my favorites like The Exorcist, An American Werewolf in London, The Omen, and the original Fright Night (rated R, not quite school appropriate). However, if you’re looking for a movie that’s not too scary but will get you in the perfect mood for Halloween, this list is just for you. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment