Monday, April 28, 2014

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow: Part 3- Leyli Beims


Our family picture
 

              
Here at CHS, I’m basically known as one-third of a trio. Most people can’t even think of me without Courtney Monzon and Cody Schmitz also popping into their head. We’ve known each other our entire lives and been best friends since eighth grade. I’ve never gone so much as three days without at least talking to both of them. However, everything’s about to change.

            We’re all going off to different colleges next year, which means that we will go months without seeing each other. Yeah, I said months. And what’s worse is that when we do get together, none of us will know exactly who or what the other is talking about because for the first time in our lives we won’t have had the same experiences. I can’t even imagine going through my day without Cody and Courtney by my side. Many of our conversations are just us talking about what happened that day, whether it was funny, irritating, weird, etc. But the best we’ll be able to do next year is describe a person who drives us crazy or tell a story about some hilarious situation we were in, which just won’t be the same.

            Probably the thing that we share the most is our sense of humor. We have a ridiculously specific sense of humor, and nobody can possibly comprehend the vast amount of inside jokes we have (like the 17-year-old who think she’s really old, the singers who think that every time the audience applauds they want an encore so they have to keep coming up with songs, our radio talk show “Happy Talk” where we don’t understand that we aren’t on TV and our “viewers” can’t see us, etc. – and don’t even get me started on microphones). It’s going to be so weird next year when something hilarious happens and I have no one to share a look with, no one to laugh uproariously with about it afterwards. Seriously, when we get together we enter our own world of stupid jokes that we find ridiculously hilarious. Other people cease to exist, and we don’t care how inappropriately loud we get or who we’re disturbing or annoying. For example, we were once at Heavy’s and we were having the single most inappropriate conversation a group of people can have, but did we attempt to keep our voices down? Anybody who’s ever been around us when we get deep into a conversation knows that no, we didn’t even try to speak quietly. When I’m with them I tend to forget that the people around us have the ability to hear. I won’t have that next year, and that makes me sad.

            I’m reading back over this and am completely disappointed with it, but I guess there’s no way to say everything there is to say about Courtney and Cody and what I’ll miss about them next year, so this’ll have to do. Although we won’t be physically close, I’m not worried about losing my two best friends. We have a connection that I don’t have with anybody else on the planet, and I know that I’ll never have the same kind of relationship that I have with those two.  Yes, we’ll all find new best friends next year. Yes, we’ll all experience new things and inevitably grow apart. Yes, when we get older and have families we won’t talk nearly as much as we should. However, I know that Courtney and Cody will always be a part of my life. They’re my best friends, and I really mean it when I say that they always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment