Friday, November 6, 2015

Perks of an Elementary Teacher's Kid - Mallory Thompson

Perks of an Elementary Teacher’s Kid
By Mallory Thompson

My mom is a first grade teacher. Some people like to brag about their parent being a high school teacher. But, having an elementary teacher as a parent can have its perks too.
In the summer, my job is a daycare type job and I work with 4-6 year olds. Whenever my mom gets her class list for the school year I go through all the 1st graders I know, picking out the sweet kids and the trouble kids. I tell her anything I know about her kids. When the school year starts, she comes back with stories, and it’s nice to know who she is talking about.
Anytime I have to grade papers it’s really easy. There is lots of addition, subtraction, and matching. It does get a little boring because of all the repetitiveness, and sometimes I can’t tell what number they are trying to write. My mom has become a pro at reading that writing.
Her classroom is so fun to be in. Everything is mini and you can play with the smartboard. Added bonus- since my mom is a 1st grade teacher she got moved to the new fema shelter. I love her new classroom with all the space in it. If there is ever a chance that she is in school and I am not, I go there for a day and help out. It is fun to help the kids with whatever activity they are doing.
When I was in elementary school I was in Mom’s classroom before and after school. My friends and I would meet there in the morning and play games with each other. I have lots of memories from that.
Another great thing is she has information. When there is stuff going around the school district, she usually knows about it so I know the truth to all the rumors. When there is anything going on in high school she somehow finds out about that too.
Even though there are some downsides to my mom being a teacher, like knowing everything about my school work, there are way more perks.

No comments:

Post a Comment