Friday, November 6, 2015

Tough Mudder - Connor Reynolds



The Tough Mudder
By Connor Reynolds

     Last month I participated in an event called the Tough Mudder. It is a 10 to 12 mile mud run with all sorts of obstacles. Some of the most memorable obstacles were Mud Mile 2.0, Cry Baby, Artic Enema 2.0 and Electroshock Therapy 2.0. Now I’m going to go into detail about of these obstacles and you’ll probably think to yourself “Why would anyone want to do this?” Well, to answer that question I’m a little crazy and enjoy the thrill sensation.
     The Mud Mile is a bunch of these mud humps that you have to climb over. Sounds easy but it’s not. There are a lot of people and the mud humps are about 8 feet high, plus you’re standing in about two feet of water with nothing to grab onto.
     Cry Baby is like a “Tear Gas” simulation. You have to crawl through this chamber with gas (which I think was spearmint because it tasted like it) that makes it extremely hard to breath and see. Once you’re out of the chamber your body is just covered from the gas and it sticks to you keeping you cold and it SUCKS! Plus jumping in water doesn’t wash it off; you just has to let it wear off. 
     The Artic Enema is a giant ice bath that you have slide into. This will make your adrenaline go crazy. I was in and out of the ice in about three seconds. I also had to jump over a wall into more ice and climb out. My brother jumped over a girl to get out.
     Electroshock Therapy is probably why a lot of people would say I’m crazy because I did the whole race just to get shocked. At the end of the race there are all these wires dangling down. You have two options here. First put your arms over your face and walk slowly through and get shocked five or six times. The second option is to just run full force through. This is the option my brother and I chose because he tried to beat me at the end, but it didn’t happen. What happens when you choose this option is you’ll be running, and you get shocked once. It happens when your feet hit the ground and it just knocks you into the mud and you slide over these humps in the middle. 
     There are about 20 obstacles total and thousands of other people are also on the course. The greatest feeling is not finishing the race but the camaraderie that everyone has through the course, helping each other with each obstacle.

     Other great parts of the Tough Mudder were the warm up area where the guy leading was extremely motivating and got your blood pumping. Also the guy who gave another motivational speech right before we began the race was great. I’d recommend that everyone to do the Tough Mudder or any mud run at least once in their life just for the experience. If you say you can’t because of the distance you’re wrong. I saw a 70 year old man with a broken arm run the whole race, and I guy with a gas mask and chains complete the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment