Friday, November 6, 2015

What it Means to be a Middle Child - Kayla Dvorak

What it Means to be a Middle Child
By Kayla Dvorak

            Although I’ve gained a plethora of younger siblings through remarriage over the years, I spent the majority of my childhood as the middle child. Over the years I’ve also endured countless jokes about “Middle Child Syndrome” any time I declared unfairness over bedtimes, inconsistencies in money spent on birthday gifts, and more recently, curfews. Urbandictionary.com defines Middle Child Syndrome as, “A disposition that generally arises with the middle child of three children in a household. Middle children often lack the attention that the oldest (the most important child) and the youngest (the parent's favorite child) receive.” While that definition is fairly accurate, whoever wrote it neglected to mention some vital parts of what it means to be a middle child.
            They forgot to mention the hours a middle child will spend pestering an older sibling for advice. It’s almost unhealthy how dependent I’ve grown over the years on my sister’s wisdom. She’s a good sport, though.
            They forgot to mention the insane need you feel to protect and parent your younger sibling. I’d like to take a moment and reflect on the trip my family took to the Grand Canyon this summer. My eleven year old brother ventured out to a rock that I DID NOT deem safe. I grew hysterical, in front of dozens of tourists, and had to go back to the car. I simply could not bear the idea of my baby being in danger.
            They also forgot to mention the golden moments featuring the middle child as the most important sibling, moments that the middle child treasures for all eternity.

            The life of a middle child has been chronicled as a lonely, angry, and destitute journey. Well, I’m here to say that while it is frustrating at times, it is also incredibly humbling and has taught me untold lessons over the span of my life. For that reason and many more, thanks Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment