Thursday, January 14, 2016

Why Out-Of-State Colleges Aren’t So Bad - Taylor Lagasse

 


Why Out-Of-State Colleges Aren't So Bad

By Taylor Lagasse

            Ever since I was a little girl I have been an addict. No, not to any form of drug or anything along those lines, but to a form of legalized gambling. I have had the privilege of growing up in a die-hard rodeo family. Nice horses, chasing white lines, and long-distance friendships are what we live for.

            As my senior year is rapidly coming to an end, the stress of preparing for college is kicking in. Where will I go? What scholarships will I be able to get? Is a two-year or four-year school more beneficial? These were all questions that picked and pecked at me constantly.

            I knew I wanted to go to a school where I was able to continue to rodeo and preferably in Texas, but where was the ultimate question. Through one of my close friends I got a visit lined up to tour Vernon College and met with the rodeo coach. The moment we pulled in I just knew this was where I was going to end up. The school was a smaller two-year college, the rodeo team practice set up was amazing, and the coach was one of the best. I couldn’t have found a better opportunity.

            But here’s the problem: I have recently noticed that people from Kansas, not just Concordia, have a hard time accepting a student’s choice to leave their home state to continue their education. It seems to me that it is a small town mentality that you MUST stick to the roots you came from. Staying in your hometown or your home state is the perfect choice for some people. However, it’s not the best choice for everyone. There is so much out there to experience.


            It is never easy to decide to leave your family and your hometown to move eight hours away, but sometimes it is what you need to do. I wish people would realize that before they make snide remarks or make disapproving faces about my decision. An out-of-state college isn’t for everyone, but it is the only thing for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment