Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Champlin Theory - By Allison Redmond

The Champlin Theory
By Allison Redmond
The second semester of senior year has begun, and seniors are already experiencing severe symptoms of senioritis. We are always tired, our effort to look nice every few days is dwindling, and the amount of work we put into our assignments is decreasing (assuming we are still turning in the assignments). Some have done their best to fight of this malady, but most are simply ready to move on with their lives.

However, senioritis affects a part of life that isn’t mentioned much: friendships. Many of my closest friends are underclassmen who are anywhere from 2-4 years younger than I am. While I love my friends, there is an age gap between us that has become more obvious as I prepare for the next step in my life.
Now, I present what I call The Champlin Theory. The Champlin Theory was created by my close friend, Janae Champlin. It simply states that a senior and their underclassmen friends are on different wavelengths, and the difference in “frequencies” puts a strain on the relationship. The senior’s wavelength is thoroughly focused on next year: what college they will go to, what they will major in, who their roommate will be, etc. However, underclassmen are on a completely different wavelength. Because they are not seniors, college is barely on their radar.These different wavelengths create a gap in the friendship, causing the friends to grow farther apart. While neither friend necessarily wants this to happen, it is almost inevitable.


Luckily, this difference in frequencies does not have to be fatal. Friendships can survive being on separate wavelengths, because as the underclassmen get older, they come to realize why their senior friend became less concerned with high school and more obsessed with the future. I have no doubt that my friendships will make it through my case of senioritis, and that we will have many more years of memories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment