Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Why Rodeo Isn't Just a Sport - By Taylor Lagasse

Why Rodeo Isn't Just a Sport
by Taylor Lagasse
            "So you like, play with horses in your spare time," and, "Why do you travel so far every weekend to go to a rodeo?" are two questions every die-hard rodeo kid gets asked frequently. Maybe it is just me, but it drives me CRAZY. I know the concept of rodeo and roping is not something everyone fully understands, but it is not like every other sport. It is a lifestyle.
            Everyone has that one special talent and a lot of them show that talent throughout their high school years in school sponsored sports. Only a few kids actually continue past high school with their obsession with the sport they play, and even fewer past the college level.  I guess my parents must have known I would never be coordinated enough to hit a volleyball or dribble a basketball. They have always pushed rodeo, and I ate it up right from the start. I still can't decide if my obsession with expensive head horses and traveling all over the country "chasing white lines" to the next roping is a blessing or a curse, but it is something I will have for the rest of my life.
            In high school sports you learn all about the concept of teamwork, but until you have tried, failed, and tried again to make something happen in sync with a thousand-pound animal, you don’t know the first thing about teamwork. If I had had $5 for every time I heard someone say, "It can't be that hard," I would probably be able to enter twice as many events as I usually do at a roping. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
            Even though my dad refers to rodeo as "legalized gambling" and says it is probably the worst addiction we could have, there is nothing as a family we would rather invest our time into. Growing up around horses has taught me responsibility and most importantly the value of hard work and dedication. Rodeo is not just a sport or hobby I will grow out of, it is a way of life and something I intend to pass on to my children.


No comments:

Post a Comment