Friday, October 12, 2012

A Halloween to Remember: Lost on Highland Drive

By Kirstyn Dvorak

My most memorable Halloween experience was in 8th grade. It was the first time I went trick-or-treating with my friends with no adult supervision. Most kids went off on their own a few Halloweens before I did, but I chose to stay with my parents due to my crippling fear of the dark. This particular year I decided to go with my friend, Tori Reed, who was a more experienced trick-or-treater than I was. The evening started out well enough. Tori was dressed as Batman and I as a bumble bee, but as the night went on and the temperature dropped, we were forced to cover up and were reduced to answering “cold” when people ask what we were for Halloween.
In the junior high hallways, there had been a rumor going around that Dr. Butt was handing out full- sized candy bars. We jumped at the opportunity to gain some of this treasure so we began our journey to Dr. Butt’s house.
However, none of us actually knew where he lived, so Tori and I and our group of friends wandered around aimlessly for a while, until one of our friends convinced us that we needed to go through the woods to get to his house. As most of you know, the wooded area around that part of town is really just a few trees, but after walking around for more than fifeen minutes, we were convinced that we had walked miles. (We later found out it was about six blocks).
By this point most of my friends had abandoned us and gone home, and it was near 11 o’clock on a Sunday night. When we finally reached Dr. Butt’s house we were devastated. The lights were off and no one else was out on the entire block. We had missed our opportunity for full-sized candy bars, and the three of us who were left had to walk all the way home, to the opposite side of town. Because it was so dark and the excitement of free candy had worn off, this proved to be one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Since then I have grown to love the excitement and freedom of Halloween, but I will never forget that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment