Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Treats - Not Tricks

By Chelsea Martin
Candy corns, chocolate, and caramel apples oh my! Halloween is one of the greatest times of the year. The chilly but not too cold weather, the Friday night football games, that spooky Halloween night. It’s all great! But my favorite part about Halloween? The CANDY of course! It’s the one time of the year when people either get to dress up as someone or something that’s not real, or in some cases just pig out on candy (like me). Either way it’s my favorite holiday. I haven’t been trick-or-treating in about three years, so I don’t get near as much candy as I have in the past. But that’s what little siblings are for.  I remember after going to about every house in town, my brother, sister, and I dumped out our bags full of candy and traded with each other. We always ended up in a fight about one having more candy than the others, but eventually we got it worked out.

I’ve recently worried that this year’s Halloween might be cancelled. With all the new school lunch rules I figured instead of people giving us candy corns, we would get spinach or tomatoes. Halloween is the one time that kids get to pig out on any candy they want. My favorite Halloween candy of all time is the pumpkin-shaped Reese’s. I always convince my mom to “buy them for the Trick-or-Treaters”. She always wonders why they disappear so fast. I love seeing children’s faces light up (those you can see) after saying “Trick or Treat!”. The children dream all day of the candy they’re going to get that night. They can barely contain themselves! I think the candy is the only thing that keeps young kids from being afraid. While you’re young you worry about the “Treats”. But when you get into your teens you worry more about the “Tricks”. I guess I’m still a kid at heart because my favorite part is definitely the treats! All in all, Halloween is, and always will be my favorite time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment