Monday, October 1, 2012

My Expectations for Fall

By Fernanda Santos



How weird would it be for someone to say that don’t really know what fall feels like? Well I don’t.  Of course I know that it’s a season, and yes we have it in Brazil but not really and that is the point.

In Rio there are only two real seasons: “hotter than the sun” and “as hot as hell”, our winter is so lame that I spend my winter break on the beach, so although I know that when the leaves start falling, autumn must be near, I don’t feel any difference in the temperature or in my daily life.

In Brazil it is not cold enough to have bonfires or s’mores. Also we don’t have Halloween or the Thanksgiving holiday, and it is way too hot to have anything like cuddling season, and Fall Fest? I had never heard of it before.

I don’t know if it’s strange to be anxious about a season, but what can I say?  It’s new and exciting to me! I can’t wait to dress up for Halloween and trick or treat around the town with my friends. I want to actually feel cold, drink hot chocolate, enjoy the madness of black Friday, watch the homecoming queen and king coronation, try pumpkin pie and FINALLY eat s’mores for the first time.

It might sound lame and maybe it is, but all of that is what I have dreamed for my whole life so I will make the best of everything, and I am I pretty sure it is going be a fun season.

*Since I wrote this, I have witnessed both Homecoming and have eaten a s’more. I enjoyed both experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment