Monday, April 14, 2014

The Texas Tradition- Julie Gross


 

Every high school student knows at every family gathering this question will come up, “So what do you want to do after you graduate?” Literally every one of my relatives has asked me that question and continues to ask that question. After I say “I don’t know,” they reply, “Well you have plenty of time to decide.” However, my college choice is made way harder by one simple joke. Both of my siblings chose colleges in Texas so everyone including friends, family, and random people says the phrase I have come to hate. “Haha, well I bet you are going to Texas just like your siblings.” This just makes me angry. Everyone assumes I want to be just like my siblings because I am the youngest child in the family. Well, actually no, I am a different person. I love my siblings, but I want to do my own thing and do not want to be a little carbon copy.  I don’t want to attend another school where I am called by my sister’s name. This makes me determined NOT to go to Texas and this sways my college decision. So even if a college in Texas has an amazing program for whatever I want to go into (yes I still don’t know what I want to do) I might not go there just to prove that I’m independent and I do not have to follow in my siblings’ footsteps. Maybe one day everyone will just realize I’m not my siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment