Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Big Lego Crisis - Isaac Sprague

Displaying image.jpg
The Big Lego Crisis
by Isaac Sprague

As a child one of my favorite pastimes was playing with Legos. I spent hours with the “big tub” creating and recreating buildings, scenes, and places. I still remember my biggest Lego project which was a Megabloks submarine. I am pretty sure the set was well over 7,000 pieces. For all of you non-Lego people, that’s a lot of Legos. At first I was enthusiastic about building the submarine because of the sheer size of it. However, after awhile I grew to hate that Lego set because it never ended. Everyday I just kept on adding pieces, day after day, night after night; it was ridiculous. So, I gave up for a few months until a friend from Texas came up to Kansas and built the rest of it. By the end of the endeavor I was speechless. The Lego set was as big as I thought it would be.

After I admired the Lego set for a few days. I decided to put it on its perch above my dresser. The Lego set sat there for years and I still looked at in awe saying to myself, “Thank goodness that is over… that was the longest Lego project I’ve ever done.” One day that did change though. I had a couple of friends over and we were all messing around in my room. I kept telling them to calm down, but you know boys are boys. So they persisted in wrestling around and one was laying on my bed while another was on top of him. The one on top was tickling him and the guy on the bottom kicked the top of my dresser and “WHAM” the whole top end of the dresser came tumbling down.

At first I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that even though I had told them to stop messing around they kept on doing it, and then one of them kicked the whole dresser down with the submarine on top. To the average person this doesn’t seem like a big deal right? “Just put the Lego set back together you big baby.” Well, it isn’t that simple. Lego pieces when they are taken out of the box are organized into baggies so that you can easily go from one bag to another. Since, all the pieces were scattered in an unorganized fashion it was impossible to find the right pieces for each part of the instruction. The Lego set is now in a box in my closet not even close to finished and the dresser top has been replaced with an Imperial Flagship. May you forever live in peace my fair Lego submarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment