Friday, February 13, 2015

The Five Best Things About College Campuses - Julie Campuses

The Five Best Things About College Campuses
By Julie Gross

As a high school student, college seems like a magical fairy land where everything is great. I’m sure that when I’m actually in college I will think differently, but right now I have college fever. During senior year, the one thing I look forward to are the college visits. College visits are like mini vacations for seniors, and they give me a real feel for college life. This, however, is a problem. I went on my first college visits to Auburn and the University of South Carolina at the end of January and I loved them both! It definitely made my senioritis much worse, but on the bright side it also made me excited about going to college. I was very tempted to stay but my parents thought it would be better for me to graduate high school first. Here a few things that I adore when visiting a college.

1.Libraries
COLLEGE LIBRARIES. Every college library I’ve visited, even the small colleges, have dream libraries. The most impressive library I visited was the library at University of South Carolina. It had a amazing computer lab, quiet floors, and books everywhere. For book lovers like me, these massive libraries are heaven, but they are also torture. They are heaven because thinking about all the stories and knowledge in one area is overwhelming and fascinating, but torture because sadly I’ll never be able to read all these wonderful books.

2. Food Courts
Our school lunches are depressing at best (not Mrs. Rundus’ fault), so basically anything else looks like filet mignon compared to our saltless entrees . The food courts on college campuses made me have a face similar to that of a 5 year old in Candyopolis. Chick-Fil-A, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, fresh salad bars, pop machines, fooooooooood! On both the college visits I really wanted to say, “Umm, yeah. I think I’ll just stay in the food court here while the rest of you go finish the tour. Have fun!” If we had food courts like college campuses do, I would be about 20 pounds heavier.

3. The Great Facilities
Our school has decent classrooms and computers but nothing compares to college classrooms. The carpet is always spotless and cushy, the tables are big, which is great for me because I spread my stuff all over, but the best part is the chairs. In high school we have the hard plastic chairs, but in college the chairs are plush, comfy, and almost good enough to sleep in. And unlike our school, the temperatures in rooms aren’t 62 degrees here and 77 on the other half of the school. Constant temperatures. Finally!

4. The Study Spots
Even though most of us don’t like to study, college study spots make studying more appealing. The quiet floors I mentioned earlier had a great focused vibe. Also, on both the campuses I visited there were plenty of outdoor spots to study, so if I wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather but get something accomplished I could.

5. The Freedom
Like most college freshmen, I got my first taste of sweet college freedom. This is probably the one thing I’m most excited for. I don’t have to have a strict schedule, I can eat whatever, wear whatever, do WHATEVER!!! Of course, my parents were still with me on the visit, so I only had half freedom, but the free college atmosphere was what tempted me to stay the most.



No comments:

Post a Comment