Monday, October 17, 2011

Peeing My Pants

By the time I reached elementary school, I was potty trained. I hope everyone is. But when a teacher says, “You can’t go to the bathroom until this time,” you hold your bladder until that time. Well, I wasn’t a very good listener.   
During 3rd grade, my P.E. class had to do some kind of running test out on the playground. I really had to pee, but I had thought my P.E. teacher told us we couldn’t use the bathroom until AFTER the running test. I really had to go, but I figured I could hold it. We had to run in pairs, and my best friend, Liz and I paired up. I knew I wouldn’t beat her, since she was a BEAST, but I tried hard. We had to run the entire length of the blacktop and back in under a minute. We did it three times. I was being beaten badly by Liz every time.
Right before we did it the third time, I really had to go “relieve” myself. Looking back, I’m glad we were the last pair to run, especially after what happened next. Someone on the sideline was talking about how thirsty they were, and I was straining to control my bladder. Suddenly, Liz leaned in and told me some joke about someone running in front of us, and I start laughing. I laughed so hard that the flood gates opened. I start crying, and the P.E. teacher rushed over. Liz just laughed.
I knew I called Liz my best friend for a reason because she helped me into the building and waited with me until my mom came to the nurse’s office with a clean pair of shorts and underwear. That is when I learned what a best friend really is, and Liz was a best friend. Sticking with your friends, through thick and thin, or even through urine-soaked pants, that’s what a true friend is. Liz and I are still close, and I’m glad for that.
By Brittany Randall

No comments:

Post a Comment