Monday, October 17, 2011

Tunnel of Fun

When I was in elementary school I lived in a little town named Coloma, Wisconsin. Coloma was a town of 400 inhabitants. There were only two restaurants in the town, if you can even call them that considering one was a bar and the other was an A & W. There was one church and one elementary school with grades Kindergarten through sixth. There really weren’t very many activities for kids. So one summer morning my brother and Laura, one of his friends, decided that we should start digging. I really don’t know where we were digging to, but we ended up making a huge tunnel. The opening of the tunnel was eight feet in length, four feet in width and seven to eight feet deep. Looking at the tunnel from above ground and from a little kid’s point of view it was like a cave or a fort. Only children could enter our tunnel. I don’t know if that was necessarily the rule or if adults just couldn’t fit past the entry way. After expanding the tunnel we filled it with water and made our own mud bath. The mud bath was fun until we realized that we had to rinse off before going in the house. My mother sprayed us all down with freezing cold water…Brrrr. We finally convinced my mom to let us rinse off in the little pool we had in the back yard. Ugh…why didn’t we think of that sooner?
By Suzanne Carlgren

No comments:

Post a Comment