Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My 6 Foot Snowman

By Amanda Lawrence

     A couple years ago, I set out to make a giant snowman. While building the snowman wouldn’t be too hard, keeping him alive during the snowy season would prove to be a challenge. The house where I built my snowman was directly in the path of many elementary boys who had previously proved their destructive behaviors (VILE NATURE). Many snowmen I had made before were destroyed almost immediately when these boys would walk by our house. However, I chose to accept the challenge, starting and completing my project during a weekend.

     I understand that it might not have been the greatest idea to create my masterpiece right next to the path of the elementary kids but I didn’t have many options. I set to work making the bottom of the snowman, realizing that it had to be huge to support a six-foot-tall snowman. I worked and made the bottom, stopping when I couldn’t push the ball anymore. However, the next layer proved to be even more challenging. Not only did this snowball have to be huge, I also had to lift it a few feet into the air to place it on the first snowball. After a few hours I was exhausted and went inside to warm up and rest.

     The next day I went back outside to finish my snowman. My snowman soon became too tall for me and I had to bring out a chair to finish it. I know, I know. It probably wasn’t the best idea to stand on a chair on an unbalanced, slick, and hard yard, especially with wet shoes, but I was on a mission and refused to quit until I had finished.

     My masterpiece was finished by the end of the day. I used Oreo’s for the mouth, a carrot for the nose, and a shoelace for his mouth. I then made my sister take a few pictures of my amazing creation and me.
 
 

     Of course, my great feeling could not last. I came home from school that week and saw my snowman after its destruction by elementary children. Actually, it was only half of my snowman. The rest was obliterated and scattered around the yard. I must say though, I was very proud of my snowman and wouldn’t hesitate to do it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment