Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Real Winter Memories

By Fernanda Santos

I grew up watching Christmas specials on TV. Seeing all the main characters playing in the snow, making snowmen and drinking hot chocolate was very painful for me, especially because, as some of you may know, I wasn’t born in Rio but in Brasilia. Brasilia is not only the capital of the country but literally smack-dab in the middle of it. This means no beach or hardly anything to do (I’m sorry people from Brasilia but you know it’s the truth).

Since no one is fully happy with what they have, I have obviously always loved cold weather instead of the heat. I’m not being unfair; I have great memories from winter break. Most of them, however, I honestly just spent tanning somewhere.

After I arrived here, it didn’t take very long until the subject of cold weather came up. When I heard that for the past couple of years Concordia’s winters weren’t very severe, it was like a punch in the face. To be very honest, if for the 10 months I spent here had no snow… I would be beyond mad and disappointed. And Apple, your awful weather forecast app giving me fake expectations was no help.

So here I was, an exchange student wanting nothing but a white Christmas. I was already getting fussy with the fact that winter was almost half way over and not even a single snowflake had fallen yet, that is until Wednesday the 19th, the happiest night of my exchange year. During youth group I got a text from my dad saying “hey go look outside it is snowing”. No doubt I was the crazy girl trying to eat snow in the middle of the street (not even sorry). The next day we were given a late start so I went on I walk that I will never forget. I walked silently through this tiny town, so pretty and white, just like in the movies and how I always dreamed.

Since that first snow, there has been only one more big snow. I got to go sledding with my friends which was a lot of fun, drink hot chocolate, and almost had amputate my feet from the cold. I’m in love with winter and I’ll miss it more than most things in America. I cannot wait to go skiing in Colorado over spring break with my youth group. Speaking from experience, it’s better to roll with your friends in the snow, freezing, and then go for a coffee or something than roll in the hot sand and feel like a fried chicken for the rest of the day. So stop complaining, everyone. The snow will melt and it will all be over very soon. But for now, let me just live my dreams.

Which reminds me… I still have to build a snowman.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment