Monday, January 20, 2014

Places of the Heart- Cody Schimtz



Places of the Heart

By Cody Schmitz

     After spending close to six years in the Concordia High / Junior High School building, I've formed opinions about and made memories in basically every area of the building. Because of this, I subconsciously rank the various locations. Here are, in no particular order, my five favorite places in the school.

The Stage:

To be honest, my reasons for loving the stage in the high school auditorium are not simply for the performances I've done on it. The main reason I love the stage is for all the times my friends and I have snuck in and done our own special performances and improvisations on the stage alone. (We have done this close to 40 times, and every time is more hilarious than the last.)

The Freshman Hallway:

And yes, by freshman hallway I do mean the new Jr. High. But it will always be the freshman hallway in my heart. Something about the annexation of that hallway from the rest of the high school made it super special. We freshman became our own tribe. (Not to mention Courtney and I got into one of the biggest fights we've ever had in that hall late at night. It was intense and is now hilarious.)

The Pool:

I have fond memories of both swimming in the school’s indoor pool and climbing into an empty version and shooting class videos.

The Old Journalism Room:

Now known as Mrs. Blain’s Classroom, The Old Journalism Room holds a special place in my sophomore heart.

The Old Gazebo:

 

After scanning the entire school building, I think that the most special place to me is the older gazebo on 11th Street for one reason. That gazebo is where an 8th grade Leyli, Courtney, and Cody sat and discussed their hopes and fears for their high school careers. The memory is bittersweet looking back, but it’s a place and moment I’ll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment