Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Pros and Cons of Working With Second Graders- Zoe Walsh


Pros and Cons of Working with Second Graders

By Zoe Walsh

Pros and Cons of Working with Second Graders
By Zoe Walsh
From booger picking and uncovered sneezes, to giant hugs and “You’re the best” drawings, let me explain some pros and cons that make me love my job at CAP, and that make me thankful I get the opportunity to have an influence on these young people’s lives.
I’ll start with cons of working with second graders. Cold season is in full force, and I get a pleasant reminder of that frequently. Uncovered coughs and sneezes hit me often. Maybe second graders are allergic to me…who knows? I also always have to remind youngsters to use a Kleenex instead of their finger in the course of my day. I have intercepted a few, “You’re a poopy head,” notes being passed. Due to constant talking, I have even had to enforce the absolute WORST thing to ever happen to any second grader…make them sit BOY, GIRL, BOY, GIRL!!
My list of pros always outweighs the cons. No matter how mad I made my second graders the day before by changing their seating arrangement to boy, girl, boy, girl; the next day I always receive a warm welcoming hug as they unload off the bus. I hear absolutely hilarious stories. I have enough coloring pages from my second graders to cover my fridge for the rest of my life. Whenever I read notes from my second graders it’s like decoding a secret message, but I like the challenge. Once I had a little boy write this, “I luv Zoe becose she halps me with my spelng.” If you can decode the message you will realize it’s ironic. But those are the things that just make me chuckle and make my heart warm.
I get the chance to watch these individuals grow up and become young adults. I love that I can help in their development throughout their year, even if it comes with a few sneezes in the face. J

No comments:

Post a Comment