Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Reality of Retail- Julie Gross


The Reality of Retail

By Julie Gross

Working at Six Street Fashions is both interesting and enjoyable. As one of my co-workers says, “Can you believe that they pay me to play with clothes!?”  I completely agree with her.  It is always exciting to sort through the new clothes, claim first dibs on new clothing, and sometimes even help our boss, Shari, pick out things we think people would buy.

As the newbie, I often am stuck with steaming the new clothes to get out all the wrinkles so the clothes will be consumer ready. I do not particularly mind steaming, except for pants. Pants always take some coaxing to get all wrinkles out. My sister hates steaming pants so much that she smiled and said to me, “Alright Julie you are going to learn to steam today!”

Also, my job as the newbie includes cleaning the bases of the clothes stands, the mirrors, the floors, the windows, the shoe racks, the jewelry cases and whatever else needs cleaning.  Of course in any job there are the tedious responsibilities, but I also learn many interesting things from working at Six Street. Our boss knows many of the women who come in to shop. While they shop, they tell her whatever hot gossip is out there, and I can’t help but overhear.  Most of the time, we hear things before they even hit the papers. Many other perks come along with the job including the 40% employee discount. Six Street Fashions is the perfect job for me, considering I love fashion and every day brings new surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment