Friday, November 2, 2012

A Season to be Thankful

By Micah Fabarez
 
 

Every year when Thanksgiving swings around, everyone is excited for turkey and fun with relatives. Thanksgiving often overshadows a lesser observed, but (in my opinion) a more important holiday. This holiday is Veterans’ Day. It is a day that ranks third behind Christmas and Easter. The fact that we have members of our society who put their lives on the line and serve this country willingly is something that is taken for granted by many Americans.

I recently went on the Honor Flight program, which is a very cool trip that takes World War II veterans to Washington D.C. so they can visit the war memorials. I really enjoyed this experience even though I wasn’t sure I would. The veteran that I was assigned to was possibly the funniest old man I have ever met in my life! He told me many stories about how he was a part of the crew on his vessel that rescued downed pilots from the ocean. Along with my veteran, I got to meet several others who were also on the trip. For instance, I met a real life Rambo. He was a veteran who survived World War II, the Korean War, AND Vietnam without getting injured! The fact that some people don’t even care that there are men and women fighting and dying for this country and its values like those men that I met is contemptible. 

This season is the time to reflect on these heroes’ sacrifices, those who shaped this country into what it is today. Honestly, when I meet someone new for the first time, it takes me time to see if they are a person who will earn my respect, but when I meet veterans, I give them respect automatically because they have fought for this country and the rights and freedoms that make it great. Several people from our high school have gone into the military and they are to be respected for their brave decision to put their life on the line for what they believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment