Monday, November 5, 2012

Thankfulness for the Modern Age

Thankfulness for the Modern Age

(AKA: Why it’s good we live now and not way back when.)

By Siri McGuire

Sure, our age isn’t perfect. Trust me, I can find reasons to complain. Squabbling politicians, a campaign that never seems to end (will November 6th EVER GET HERE?!?), and the general trend towards consumerism barely scratches the surface when it comes to my grievances toward society. However, I’m not so blind that I cannot see that our age might have some redeeming qualities. Here are a few things off the top of my head:

·     Transportation. Nowadays, if you have the money (or you just happened to own/steal your own jet plane), you could be in Mongolia within a few days. Remember back in the day, when you had to get on a ship and take your chances with scurvy, shipwreck, and seasickness to get anywhere? Even cross country travel is easier. Remember covered wagons? If you are a Kansan, you should. It was just yesterday we used those.
·     Information Availability. You’ve probably heard of Kepler, Newton, and other famous scientists who spent their whole lives trying to figure out the way the universe works. Now, you can look up all of that information and more on the internet within seconds. From the grave, Newton and Kepler are probably thinking “What a rip.”
·     Childbirth. I don’t think I need to explain this one.
·     Modern Medicine. I don’t know about you, but I’m glad I wasn’t a part of the generation that had to deal with polio. Or smallpox.
·     Communication. Wonder what you would have done 500 years ago if you and your sweetheart lived thousands of miles away, or one of you took a long trip? No email, no phone, no Skype, no texting, just a letter once every couple of months. For some reason, I don’t think today’s teenage population would handle that very well.
·     Global Connectedness. On a serious note, we are incredibly lucky to live in an age where we have the chance to connect with people halfway across the globe. Cultures mingle, ideas spread, and minds open.

No comments:

Post a Comment